St. Joseph's Hospital

St. Joseph's Hospital was started in 1892 by the Reverand Father Joseph L. Bihn and 2 Sisters of St. Francis, Sister M. Ludmilla Schmidt & Sister M. Antonia Adams. It was started in a three-story frame house which sat on the corner of Penfield Ave. and Dexter St. (now called Broadway and 21st St). The house was called the "Devonian Baths" and was built in 1887 over sulpher springs discovered by accident by Gilbert Hogan, who had been drilling for natural gas. This is one of the early pictures of the hospital.